What is Independent Film Distribution
The process of making a film available to the audience for viewing is known as film distribution. This includes theatrical screenings, television broadcasters, VOD streaming, airlines and DVD sales.
Independent film distribution refers to the distribution of films produced outside the traditional Hollywood studio system. Independent films often have smaller budgets and limited access to the traditional distribution channels and marketing resources of major studios.
Independent film distribution can be challenging, as it requires filmmakers to find alternative ways to reach audiences and generate revenue. Some common methods of independent film distribution include:
- Film Festivals: Participating in film festivals is a popular way for independent filmmakers to gain exposure and find distribution opportunities.
- Streaming platforms: Many independent filmmakers are turning to streaming platforms, such as Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, and Vimeo, to reach wider audiences and generate revenue.
- Self-Distribution: Some independent filmmakers choose to self-distribute their films, taking control of the distribution process and handling all aspects of distribution themselves.
- Crowdfunding: Crowdfunding platforms, such as Kickstarter and Indiegogo, can be used to raise funds for independent films and build an audience before release.
- Digital Distribution: Digital distribution allows filmmakers to distribute their films directly to audiences through online platforms, bypassing traditional distribution channels.
Note: The distribution strategy for independent films will depend on a number of factors, including the film's budget, target audience, and distribution goals. It's important for independent filmmakers to carefully consider their options and find the best distribution channels for their films.
How to Independently Distribute a Film
To independently distribute a film, you can follow these steps:
- Secure your rights: Make sure you have the legal right to distribute your film, which usually involves acquiring the rights to any copyrighted music or footage used in the film.
- Create a website: Build a website for your film that includes information about the film, cast and crew, and any upcoming screenings or events.
- Utilize Film Festivals: Participating in film festivals can help you gain exposure and find distribution opportunities for your film.
- Consider Streaming Platforms: Consider distributing your film through streaming platforms, such as Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, and Vimeo, to reach wider audiences and generate revenue.
- Crowdfunding: Crowdfunding platforms, such as Kickstarter and Indiegogo, can be used to raise funds for your film and build an audience before release.
- Utilize Digital Distribution: Utilize digital distribution to distribute your film directly to audiences through online platforms, bypassing traditional distribution channels.
- Market and Promote: Develop a marketing plan to promote your film, including trailers, posters, and other materials. Utilize social media and other online channels to build a following and create buzz for your film.
- Monitor and Adjust: Continuously monitor the performance of your film and adjust your distribution strategy as needed.
Note: Independent film distribution requires a lot of time and effort, but it also provides a high degree of control over the distribution process.
Consider working with a consultant or distributor to help with the process, if needed.
|How to Distribute an Independent Film Online
Few filmmakers are aware there are several ways to sell content through self-distribution
|Film Distribution Contracts
Read example distribution contracts and agreements before you make a deal with a distributor.
|List of Top Tier Film Markets to Sell Your Film
Film Markets are all about the business of film, where filmmakers and distributors buy and sell films.
|Top Streaming Platforms to Sell your Film
Generate income by self distributing your film on streaming platforms. Direct-to-VOD
|Sell your Documentary Online
Here is the list of where you can sell your documentary online, directly to streaming platforms
|Sell your Short Film Online
Make money by screening your short film on streaming platforms