The Fund also welcomes international music stories told through the lens of Canadian filmmakers.
The Hot Docs-Slaight Family Fund will financially support 3-5 documentary projects each year with amounts ranging from $15,000 to $60,000 CAD. Successful applicants will receive creative and professional development support.
- Be a corporation unaffiliated with any licensed network or programming undertaking.
- Be the primary rights holder of the project.
- Be in good standing with Hot Docs by application date.
- Have previously produced one of the following: a documentary or fiction film commercially released; a documentary or fiction film and/or series broadcast on television. The Funds will occasionally consider an applicant that does not meet this specific requirement, provided a senior producer is meaningfully attached to the project as confirmed in writing.
- Be considered one of the following:
- International production companies making films about Canadian musical artists (max. 1 per year*)
- Canadian productions, co-pros or treaty productions making films about Canadian musical artists
- Canadian productions, co-pros or treaty productions making films about International musical artists (max. 1 per year*)
- Be majority owned by the applicant.
- Be a one-off (i.e. series are not eligible)
- Be of high quality and suitable for theatrical release, broadcast or online release to audiences.
* Only a maximum of 1 project that fits within these two descriptions will be considered per granting cycle.
All projects must NOT be:
- Proposals that are school, institute or university course work; or are TV series, web series or fiction pieces.